university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES



Scottish Brewing Archive

SBA Logo

Records of Gleneagles Malting Ltd, brewers and maltsters, Blackford, Perthshire, Scotland

Reference:
GB 1127 GLM.
Title:
Records of Gleneagles Malting Ltd, brewers and maltsters, Blackford, Perthshire, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1912–1986.
Extent:
0.03 metres (2 files).
Extent:
There are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
Held at:
Scottish Brewing Archive.
Name of Creator:
Gleneagles Malting Ltd (brewers and maltsters: 1931– : Blackford, Perthshire, Scotland).
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Revisions:
  • Revised by Wiebke Redlich, Archive Assistant (Hub), 22 January 2002
  • 8 June 2005 Catalogue record converted to EAD2002, May 2005
Published by:
Scottish Brewing Archive, 31 October 2001.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1886 William Thomson erected a new brewery and maltings at Blackford, Perthshire, Scotland. Whilst the brewery was under construction William died, and so the work was completed by his Trustees. In July 1898 the business became a limited liability company under the name W B Thomson Ltd. The company added maltings to the brewery and began to manufacture aerated water.

By the early 1900s W B Thomson had run into financial difficulties, which was partly a consequence of a slump being suffered by the brewing industry in general. The aerated water and bottling sides to the business were separated from the brewery, the former merging with John Craik & Co of Perth, Perthshire and Kinross to form Thomson Craik & Co Ltd. W B Thomson Ltd went into liquidation and brewing ceased in March 1915 after finally being crippled by economic conditions induced by a country at war.

J & A Davidson & Co, brewers of Coldstream, Borders, Scotland, acquired the brewery in 1916. They in turn sold the premises to Calder & Co of Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland in 1920. In 1931 Gleneagles Malting Ltd, the parent company being Veda Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland, who marketed Veda Bread, leased the premises at Blackford. The brew house was only ever used for storage, although the Ministry of Supply during the Second World War requisitioned it for a time. Gleneagles Malting Ltd finally purchased the premises around 1950, and the premises remain in the possession of Veda Ltd in 2002.

Source:
McMaster, Charles, The Breweries of Blackford, Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, No. 7, (Summer 1986).


Scope and Content

  • Property records, 1929–1964
  • Photographs, 1912–1980s
  • Historical notes, 1980s
System of Arrangement:
The material is arranged according to the Scottish Brewing Archive classification scheme used within all SBA collections.
Custodial History:
The collection was previously stored with the rest of the Scottish Brewing Archive at Heriot–Watt University. It moved to the University of Glasgow in 1991.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Deposited by Veda Ltd.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 1127 procedures.
Accruals:
None expected.
Access Conditions:
Open.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Scottish Brewing Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
File level list available in searchroom.
Related Units of Description:
GB 1127 JC: Records of James Calder & Co (Brewers) Ltd
GB 1127 WBT: Records of W B Thomson Ltd
Publication Note:
McMaster, Charles, The Breweries of Blackford, Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter, No. 7, (Summer 1986).

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Fonds–level description compiled by Natalie Milne, Archives Assistant (Hub), 31 October 2001.