The Scottish Brewing Archive seeks to collect original and unique archival records to support the brewing industry and research in the wider community. In acquiring records every effort will be made to avoid conflict and duplication with the collecting policies of other record repositories. The following criteria are used to appraise material for inclusion in the Scottish Brewing Archive Collections:
The Scottish Brewing Archive is the designated repository of records of Scottish breweries, maltings, cooperages, licensed trade and trade associations. The Scottish Brewing Archive routinely collects:
- Corporate, shareholding, financial and production records.
- Sales, promotional and marketing, staff and property records.
- Licensed premises, photographic, family papers and reminiscences of staff records.
- Secondary references, especially to breweries and brewers outwith Central Scotland.
- Old beer bottles, cans, trays, glasses, ashtrays, small items of brewing, malting and coopering equipment.
The Scottish Brewing Archive also maintains a library and seeks to collect historical and technical books, as well as periodicals, on brewing and related industries.