university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES

 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 90.
Title:
Records of Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1878-1991.
Extent:
5.50 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow Archive.
Name of Creator:
Glasgow Dental Hospital and School (dental hospital and training school: 1879- : Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

Formed as the School of Dental Surgery and Dental Hospital of Glasgow in 1879, it was initially located in Anderson’s College. The students sat examinations set by the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. The Glasgow Dental Hospital and School became a voluntary hospital in 1885 when it moved to 56 George Square. It moved again in 1889, to 4 Chatham Place, in 1896, to 5 St Vincent Place, and in 1903 to 15 Dalhousie St. It became a limited company in 1904. A purpose built dental hospital and school was completed in Renfrew St in 1931.

In 1947 the Dental School became affiliated to the University of Glasgow. In 1948 the Glasgow Dental Hospital became part of the National Health Service, with its own Board of Management. The present buildings in Sauchiehall St were completed in 1970. Following the National Health Service reforms of 1992-1993 the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School National Health Service Trust was formed. In 1999 this was replaced by the larger North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Western Infirmary, Gartnavel General and Stobhill Hospital.


[top of page]

Scope and Content

  • Minutes, 1885-1978
  • Annual reports and publications, 1885-1975
  • Financial records, 1879-1948
  • Files of Secretary/Treasurers, 1948-1974
  • Registers of staff and students, 1885-1971
  • Photographs, c.20th century
  • Ephemera, 1878-1883
  • Maps and plans, 1964-1970
  • Final Year [graduation] Dinner booklets, 1923-1972
  • Staff Association minutes and files, 1932-1991
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Glasgow Dental Hospital and School.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
None expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.

[top of page]

Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 39: Records of Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth Hospitals Board of Management
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
Publication Note:
Henderson, T Brown, History of Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, 1879-1959 (Glasgow, C L Wright, 1960).

Fonds-Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.

[top of page]