university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES
 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Board Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 50.
Title:
Records of Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1889–1984.
Extent:
3.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Stobhill Hospital (hospital: c.1903– : Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

Stobhill Hospital was built by Glasgow Parish Council and opened in 1903–1904. It had 1,867 beds, of which 200 were for pychiatric assessment. During the 1914–1918 war the hospital was used for wounded servicemen and known as the 3rd and 4th Scottish General Hospitals. In 1928 a new radiology department was opened. In 1930 Stobhill became a Glasgow Corporation hospital. In 1931 a new maternity unit opened. Stobhill became a teaching hospital in 1937 with the arrival of Noah Morris, Professor of Materia Medica in the University of Glasgow. In 1948 it was transferred to the National Health Service, under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals, and designated one of the 5 major central hospitals of the new Western Regional Hospital Board.

Many upgradings and extensions followed, although the bed complement had dropped below 1,000 by 1965. In 1967–1969 a Clinical Teaching Centre was completed. At the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974 Stobhill became the responsibility of the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. The closure of the maternity unit, leaving Stobhill as a general and geriatric medicine hospital, was agreed in 1992. Responsibility for the management of Stobhill passed to the Stobhill NHS Trust in 1993. This body was absorbed into the North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust in 1999. In 2004, as part of the reintegration of the NHS in Glasgow, the North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust became the North Glasgow Division of NHS Greater Glasgow. A new ACAD [Ambulatory Care And Diagnostics] Unit was built at Stobhill in 2009.


[top of page]

Scope And Content

  • Casualty [later Accident and Emergency] registers, 1956–1997
  • Daily returns of patients, 1929–1966
  • Maps and plans, 1889–1954
  • Official visitations report book, 1903–1953
  • Papers of Working Party on Tuberculosis, 1979–1981
  • Registers of admissions, 1940–1992
  • Registers of deaths, 1914–1999
  • Registers of General Practitionersí referrals, 1981–1994
  • Registers of operations, 1920–1939 and 1966–1984
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record classes.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
Further accessions are expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.

[top of page]

Legal Status:
Public records.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Some material unfit for copying, otherwise no restrictions.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 19: Records of Glasgow Corporation and Glasgow Parish Council
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 32: Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
Publication Note:
Watt, O M, Stobhill Hospital, the first seventy years, (Glasgow, 1971).

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Board Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Updated by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 28 February 2011.

[top of page]