university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES



NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.
SEE ALSO: Classification Index

Records of Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Board Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 45.
Title:
Records of Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1834–1988.
Extent:
20.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital (maternity hospital: 1834– : Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital was founded in 1834 in Greyfriars Wynd as the Glasgow Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary. It moved to St Andrews Square in 1841 and in 1860 to the Rottenrow. Completely new buildings were erected on the Rottenrow site in 1880/81 and a substantial extension added in 1908. These buildings had a bed complement of 108 beds and contained a large lecture theatre and operating theatre for clinical teaching purposes. A West End Branch was opened at 491 St Vincent St in 1888. This was closed in 1941 having been damaged during an air raid.

The title Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women’s Hospital was granted in 1914 and the present shorter version adopted in 1960. A clinical laboratory was opened in 1926 and a new nurses home in 1928. A new out-patients department was opened in 1955. In 1948 the hospital was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow Maternity and Women’s Hospitals. At the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974 the hospital was placed in the Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and from 1993 it was under the Glasgow Royal Infirmary University National Health Service Trust. In 1966 the Western Regional Hospital Board decided that the hospital should be replaced. In 1998 a move to new premises at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary seemed likely and this relocation took place in 2001.


Scope and Content

  • Annual reports, 1857–1969
  • Case notes, 1866–1895
  • Financial records, 1903–1948
  • Machine readable (punched card) diagnostic index to patients, 1946–1962
  • Minutes, 1834–1988
  • Photographs and ephemera, 1899–1982
  • Register of medical students, 1903–1921
  • Registers of patients, 1834–1961
  • Subject files, including redevelopment of hospital and history of Glasgow school of obstetrics, 1974–1985
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
Further accessions are expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 32: Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
Publication Note:
Dow, D A, The Rottenrow. The history of the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, 1834-1984 (Carnforth, Parthenon Press, 1984).

Fonds–level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Board Archivist, 23 July 1998.