university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES

 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Glasgow Eye Infirmary, infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 2002.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 3.
Title:
Records of Glasgow Eye Infirmary, infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1824-1973.
Extent:
8.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Glasgow Eye Infirmary (infirmary: 1824-: Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

The Glasgow Eye Infirmary was founded in 1824. In 1874 it moved into purpose built accommodation in the West End of Glasgow at Berkeley Street which, by the late 1880s, had over 100 beds. The Infirmary continued to run an outpatients department in the East End. In 1945 the Spencer Research Committee was formed with capital of over $12,000, to oversee research in the GEI. In 1971 the entire in-patient accommodation at Berkeley Street was destroyed by fire: an outpatients department continues there. From 1948-1974 the Glasgow Eye Infirmary was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Helath Board and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. In the late 1990s the functions of the GEI were re-located to Gartnavel General Hospital.


[top of page]

Scope and Content

  • Accounts, 1899-1948
  • Annual reports, 1824-1859
  • Auxiliary Association minutes, 1950-1976
  • Case sheets, 1932, 1937-1938
  • Directors’ minutes, 1824-1948
  • House Committee and other minutes, 1874-1948
  • Medical illustrations, including some used for teaching, 20th century
  • Miscellaneous papers, including file re: Civil Defence (1951-1952), 1922-1973
  • Operations registers, 1936-1960
  • Pathological journals, 1920-1963
  • Register of members (subscribers) and directors, 1912-1943
  • Registers of patients, 1937-1962
  • Research papers, including those of Professor W J B Riddell and Professor A Lowenstein, 20th century
  • Salary records, 1929-1942
  • Spencer Research Committee minutes, 1946-1954
  • Waiting lists, 1945-1959
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Glasgow Eye Infirmary and Gartnavel General Hospital.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
Further accessions are expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.

[top of page]

Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 37: Records of Glasgow Western (and Gartnavel) Hospitals Board of Management
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
Publication Note:
Thomson, A M W, Life and Times of Dr William Mackenzie, founder of Glasgow Eye Infirmary (Robert Maclehose and Co., Glasgow, 1973).

Fonds-Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 2002.

[top of page]