university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES



NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.
SEE ALSO: Classification Index

Records of Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 25.
Title:
Records of Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1885-1990.
Extent:
31.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women (womens hospital: 1890-1991: Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

Administrative/Biographical History

The hospital opened in temporary premises in 1890 and moved to Coplaw Street in 1896. It had 30 beds in 1896 and 83 by 1907. A second new wing increased this to 156 in 1927. A 30 bed annexe for paying patients was added in 1936. When the hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948 it was placed under the Glasgow Maternity and Women’s Hospitals Board of Management. In 1974 it was placed in the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1991 the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women was closed. In 1992 the premises were briefly re–opened as an orthopaedic and general surgery unit managed by the Victoria Infirmary.


Scope and Content

  • Annual Medical Reports, 1928–1951
  • Annual Reports, 1887–1947
  • Artefacts
  • Case notes, 1914–1946
  • Director’s minutes, 1885–1940 and 1946
  • Dispensary case notes, 1932–1946
  • Dorcas Society minutes, 1903–1937
  • Ephemera relating to history of hospital
  • Files, 1949–1981
  • Finance Committee minutes, 1902–1924
  • House Committee minutes, 1891–1943, and 1960–1969
  • Inventories, 1927–1970
  • Ladies Auxiliary Association minutes, 1900–1948
  • Letter book, 1887
  • Management Group minutes, 1981–1989
  • Microfilm of press cuttings, 1886–1948
  • Minutes of South Eastern District / District South 3 / Victoria Infirmary & Southern General Hospital Unit, 1974–1990
  • Paying patients’ accounts, 1936–1948
  • Plans, 1940s
  • Registers of dispensary patients, 1927–1967
  • Register of legacies, 1912–1947
  • Registers of operations, 1956–1972
  • Registers of patients, 1892–1968, including armed forces patients, 1941–1946, and of patients transferred to Mearnskirk Hospital, 1942–1944
  • Staff Association minutes, 1932–1970
  • Summaries of radium treatment, 1930–1942
  • Waiting lists, 1945–1961 and not dated
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record classes.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
None expected.
Legal Status:
Public records.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 45: Records of Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
GB 812 HB 53: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board South Eastern District
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
Publication Note:
Dow, D. A., Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, Glasgow. Centenary, 1886-1986; Royal Samaritan Hospital Centenary Committee, Glasgow, 1986.

Fonds-Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.