university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES

 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 23.
Title:
Records of Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1881–1985.
Extent:
87.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Victoria Infirmary (hospital: 1890– : Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

The Victoria Infirmary is located at Langside on the South Side of Glasgow. It was opened in 1890 as a voluntary hospital with a bed complement of 84 beds. By 1906 it had 260 beds. A further 120 bed wing was added in 1927 and a paying patients block was completed in 1935. In the late 1940s the Infirmary was designated a major teaching hospital. Between 1959 and 1971 substantial upgrading and new building work, including new laboratories, operating theatres and Out–Patients Department, was undertaken.

The Victoria acquired a convalescent home, Brooksby at Largs, in 1897 and built the first country auxiliary hospital in Scotland: Philipshill Hospital which opened in 1929. In 1948 the Victoria joined the National Health Service as the leading hospital under the Board of Management for Glasgow Victoria Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1992 the Victoria Infirmary achieved trust status within the NHS. In 1999 the Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust was replaced by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes the Southern General Hospital.


[top of page]

Scope and Content

  • Accounts, 1903–1957
  • Annual Reports, 1881–1947
  • Caricatures of Glasgow medical men by Dr O. H. Mavor (James Bridie), undated
  • Emergency Hospital Scheme daily returns for Victoria Infirmary, 1944–1947, and Philipshill Auxiliary Hospital, 1944–1946
  • Hospital Secretaries files, 1939–1951
  • Ladies Auxiliary Association Annual Reports, 1917–1940
  • Material relating to Philipshill Auxiliary Hospital, 1930–1957
  • Minutes, 1881–1948
  • Pathological museum catalogue, 1903
  • Pathological reports, 1907–1950
  • Post mortem reports, 1892–1963
  • Publications, 1903–1985
  • Record of attendances of out–patients for dressings, 1933–1946
  • Registers of patients, 1890–1948
  • Ward journals, 1890–1948

[top of page]

System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
Further accessions are expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.

[top of page]

Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 53: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board South Eastern District
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
Publication Note:
Slater, S D and Dow, D A, Victoria Infirmary of Glasgow, 1890–1990, a centenary history (Glasgow, Victoria Infirmary Centenary Committee, 1990).

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.

[top of page]