university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES
 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Lennox Castle Hospital, Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire; Stoneyetts Hospital, Chryston, Lanarkshire; and Waverley Park Home, Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 20.
Title:
Records of Lennox Castle Hospital, Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire; Stoneyetts Hospital, Chryston, Lanarkshire; and Waverley Park Home, Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1906–1991.
Extent:
15.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Lennox Castle Hospital (psychiatric hospital: 1936–2002: Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire, Scotland); Stoneyetts Hospital (psychiatric hospital: 1913–1992: Chryston, Lanarkshire, Scotland); Waverley Park Home (girls care home: 1906–1993: Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

Waverley Park Home at Kirkintilloch was run by the Glasgow Association for the Care of Defective and Feeble–Minded Children. Opened in 1906 it provided care for girls only. Stoneyetts Hospital was built by Glasgow Parish Council and opened in 1913. It was a certified institution for mentally deficient people under the Mental Deficiency and Lunacy (Scotland) Act of 1913. Stoneyetts became seriously overcrowded and arrangements were made with Falkirk Parish Council for patients to be cared for at Blinkbonny Home. Lennox Castle Hospital was built by Glasgow Corporation, also as a hospital for mentally deficient people. It had 1,200 beds when it opened in 1936 and was the largest mental deficiency hospital in Britain: a substantial number of patients were transferred from Stoneyetts to Lennox Castle. During the Second World War a large part of the hospital was requisitioned under the Emergency Hospital Scheme.

Between 1941 and 1943, a 120 bed maternity unit was established as a "temporary" measure: this finally closed in 1964. In the early 1970s the bed complement reached a peak at 1,620, by 1991 this had fallen to 830. When the National Health Service was formed in 1948 the Board of Management for Lennox Castle and Associated Institutions was created to manage Lennox Castle Hospital, Stoneyetts Hospital and Waverley Park Home. In 1974 they were placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. Stoneyetts Hospital closed in 1992 and Waverley Park was shut down in 1993. In 1993 Lennox Castle Hospital became the responsibility of the Greater Glasgow Community and Mental Health Services NHS Trust. By 1999 a phased closure of Lennox Castle Hospital had begun. The hospital closed in 2002.


[top of page]

Scope And Content

  • Accounts, 1949–1951
  • Admission warrants for patients at Stoneyetts, 1950–1979
  • Case notes on patients at Stoneyetts, 1914–1930
  • Correspondence of Medical Superintendents, Stoneyetts Hospital, later Lennox Castle and Stoneyetts Hospitals, 1913–1950
  • Correspondence of Secretary / Treasurers, 1951–1975
  • Files relating to condition and treatment of male patients in Stoneyetts, 1940s–1950s
  • Files relating to dead and discharged patients in Stoneyetts, 1937–1961
  • Files relating to wartime use of Lennox Castle and other subjects, 1927–1960
  • Glasgow Association for the Care of Defective and Feeble–Minded Children minutes, 1930–1948 and ledger, 1933–1948
  • Indexes to minutes, 1958–1969
  • Maps and plans of Stoneyetts Hospital, 1920–1967
  • Minutes of Board of Management for Lennox Castle and Associated Institutions and of its committees, 1948–1974
  • Papers of Stoneyetts and Lennox Castle Boy Scouts, 1930–1954
  • Papers relating to patients diet, 1914–1977
  • Patient registers, Lennox Castle, 1936–1988
  • Patient registers, Waverley Park, 1906–1991
  • Registers of patients at Stoneyetts and Blinkbonny, 1915–1936
  • Registers of patients at Stoneyetts, 1937–1991
  • Rules, 1930–1960

[top of page]

System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Lennox Castle Hospital, Stoneyetts Hospital.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
None expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.

[top of page]

Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 19: Records of Glasgow Corporation and Glasgow Parish Council
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 32: Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
GB 815 H/bank 2, Records of Lennox Castle Hospital, held at the Heatherbank Museum of Social Work (Part of Research Collections, Glasgow Caledonian University Archives – see contact details).
Publication Note:
No known publications using this material.

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.

[top of page]