university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES



NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.
SEE ALSO: Classification Index

Records of Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.
Reference:
GB 812 HB 17.
Title:
Records of Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1889–1984.
Extent:
3.00 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Stobhill Hospital (hospital: c.1903– : Glasgow, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Edition:
First edition.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Southern General Hospital (SGH) was originally part of the Govan Combination Poorhouse. The hospital’s earliest buildings were in Eglinton Street when in 1872 a new 240 bed general hospital and 180 patient lunatic asylum were built at the present site. In 1902–1905 major extensions provided 700 more beds. In 1912 Govan was absorbed into Glasgow Parish. Between 1912 and 1948 the SGH (which adopted that name in 1923) was run by Glasgow Parish Council and then by Glasgow Corporation.

Upgrading of the hospital’s facilities, in the form of a multiplicity of medium–sized projects, began in the 1950s and was capped with the opening of a new Maternity Unit in 1970 and the completion of the Institute of Neurological Sciences in 1972. Between 1948 and 1974 responsibility for the SGH rested with the Board of Management for Glasgow South Western Hospitals and in 1974 it was transferred to the South Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1992 the Southern General Hospital NHS Trust was created. In 1999 this was replaced by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes the Victoria Infirmary.


Scope And Content

  • Annual Reports, 1906, 1912, 1925–1939 and 1993–1994
  • Case register, National Radium Centre, 1948–1952
  • Diet sheets for various Scottish hospitals and poorhouses, 1920–1928
  • Maps and plans, 1852–1964
  • Pamphlets and ephemera relating to history of Southern General Hospital, 1957–1973
  • Psychiatric case books, male patients, 1891–1914
  • Registers of admissions and discharges, with indexes, 1885–1969
  • Registers of deaths, 1932–1972
  • Registers of births, 1896–1966 and 1969–70
  • Registers of lunatics, 1858–1957
  • Registers of operations, 1936–1982
  • Statistical returns, 1930–1969
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record class.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
Further accessions are expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 16: Records of Glasgow South–Western Hospitals Board of Management
GB 812 HB 18: Records of Elder Cottage Hospital, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 19: Records of Glasgow Corporation and Glasgow Parish Council
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow
GB 812 HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board
Publication Note:
Devaney, M. M., The Southern General Hospital: a historical sketch, duplicated, (Glasgow, 1973).

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 23 July 1998.