Murdoch Cameron was one of the people responsible for the revival and development of the caesarean section. He transformed it from a rarely used procedure that was normally fatal for the mother to a ‘routine’ operation. His successful operations, performed in the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital from 1888 onwards, proved that the caesarean technique could be a safe and standard one.
Born in Glasgow in 1845 Cameron qualified MD from the University of Glasgow in 1872. He began to specialise in obstetrics, his work in his practice in the Townhead district of the city being noted by his peers. In 1878 he was appointed Physician Accoucheur to the Western Infirmary. In 1888 he became Obstetric Physician to the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital.