university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES

 





NHS Greater Glasgow
and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.

SEE ALSO: Classification Index
Printer Friendly Version 

Records of Victoria Infirmary, Helensburgh, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Karl Magee, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 9 August 2000.
Reference:
GB 812 AC 41.
Title:
Records of Victoria Infirmary, Helensburgh, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1879-1948.
Extent:
1.50 metres.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Victoria Infirmary (hospital: 1897- : Helensburgh, Scotland) .
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Revisions:
  • Amendments made by Vikki Laidlaw, Assistant Archivist (Cataloguing), 1 February 2006
Published by:
NHS Greater Glasgow Archive, 1 February 2006.

[top of page]

Administrative/Biographical History

Victoria Infirmary was opened in 1876 as Helensburgh Hospital and was erected chiefly from funds bequeathed by Anne Alexander. Originally the hospital was intended for the treatment of infectious and non-infectious diseases, but as this arrangement soon became impractical it was decided to build a new hospital for non-infectious cases. A new site was chosen between King Street and Granville Street, the ground being secured from the Colquon trustees. The new hospital, designed by William Leiper (the architect of Templeton’s carpet factory) was officially opened in 1895.

In Jubilee year, 1897, the name of Helensburgh hospital was changed to the Victoria Infirmary. Four doctors took it in turn to attend the hospital and two directors visited the infirmary in rotation to see that the efficiency and economy were duly attended to. The bed complement of twenty-two was divided evenly between 11 males and 11 females contained within the two wings of the hospital and comprising mainly of general medical and surgical cases. There were also 3 private rooms on the first floor.

In 1951 a new physiotherapy, X-ray and out-patients unit was opened. The hospital was maintained by voluntary subscription until 1948 when, with the inception of the NHS administrative control was transferred to the Western Regional Hospital Board. In 1974 with the reorganisation of the NHS control of the hospital transferred to the Dumbarton District of the Argyll & Clyde Health Board. The Argyll and Clyde Health Board was dissolved in 2005, and responsibility for the Victoria Infirmary of Helensburgh was passed to NHS Greater Glasgow.


[top of page]

Scope and Content

  • Minutes, 1879-1948
  • Annual reports, 1880-1947
  • Ward journals, 1917-1937
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within record series.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Argyll and Clyde Acute Hospitals NHS Trust Headquarters.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
None expected.
Access Conditions:
Normal 75 year closure applies.

[top of page]

Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 AC 46: Records of Board of Management for Dumbartonshire Hospitals
Publication Note:
No known publications using this material.

Fonds-Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Karl Magee, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 9 August 2000.

[top of page]