Vale of Leven District General Hospital was originally built at Alexandria as an emergency project in 1955. The hospital was built on endowment land of the Henry Brock Memorial Hospital which subsequently became an integral part of the new hospital. In 1956 the Henry Brock Hospital became the geriatric long stay unit and chronic sick assessment centre until in 1977 a new geriatric unit was opened and all patients were removed from the Henry Brock building. In 1958 the Vale of Leven Hospital became a training school for nurses, the first badges being given out in 1967.
The new maternity unit was opened in 1971 taking women from the former Braeholm maternity and Overtoun maternity hospitals. The Henry Brock Hospital was finally demolished in 1978 and in 1979 a new extension to the radiography unit was built. From its date of opening the hospital was administered by the Western Regional Hospital Board. In 1974 with the re-organisation of the NHS the hospital came under the control of the Dumbarton District of the Argyll and Clyde Health Board.