university of glasgow
skip navigation
ARCHIVE SERVICES



NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives

Link to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website.
SEE ALSO: Classification Index

Records of Ravenscraig Hospital, Greenock, Scotland

Author:
Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 2005.
Reference:
GB 812 AC 12.
Title:
Records of Ravenscraig Hospital, Greenock, Scotland.
Dates of Creation:
1850–1994.
Extent:
6.00 metres.
Extent:
Some material unfit for copying, otherwise no restrictions.
Held at:
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives.
Name of Creator:
Ravenscraig Hospital, (1850–1994, Greenock, Scotland).
Language of Material:
English.
Level of Description:
Fonds.
Revisions:
  • No amendments to date
Edition:
First edition.

Administrative/Biographical History

A poorhouse with lunatic wards was built in Captain Street in 1850. Smithston (later known as Ravenscraig) Hospital, with accommodation for 750 inmates, replaced this in 1879. Between 1915 and 1919 part of the hospital was handed over to the military authorities for the care of wounded soldiers. During the Second World War the entire hospital was taken over by the Royal Canadian Navy as their headquarters in the Clyde estuary area. The psychiatric patients were transferred to Dykebar, Larbert and other hospitals until 1947 when Ravenscraig returned to civilian use.

At nationalisation in 1948 the hospital came under the Board of Management for Dykebar and Associated Hospitals. The name Ravenscraig was adopted in 1948. Numerous improvements were made, including the addition of an occupational therapy department in 1951. In the 1950s a day patients service was introduced, the first in Scotland. In the 1960s two new units for long–term patients were constructed. The hospital was transferred to the Board of Management for Greenock and District Hospitals in 1969. When the NHS was reorganised in 1974 responsibility for Ravenscraig passed to the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Health Board. The original asylum buildings were closed in 2005 but peripheral buildings continue to provide psychiatric and geriatric services.


Scope and Content

  • Admissions warrants, 1850–1962
  • Case notes, 1935–1967
  • Daily registers, 1965–1969
  • Miscellaneous, 1930–1961
  • Registers, 1860–1994
System of Arrangement:
Chronological within series.
Custodial History:
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Ravenscraig Hospital.
Appraisal, Destruction and Scheduling:
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 812 procedures.
Accruals:
No further accessions are expected.
Legal Status:
Public records.
Access Conditions:
No restrictions.
Copyright / Reproduction:
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents.
Existence of Copies:
No known copies.
This material is original.
Finding Aids:
Descriptive list.
Related Units of Description:
GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board
Publication Note:
No known publications using this material.

Fonds–Level Description Compilation Details

Compiled by Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist, 2005.